CouchWarriors League New Points System Aug 2021
If you ask the question, “why are the CouchWarriors events all called Ranbats?” It’s short for Ranking Battle – a long standing tradition in the community, offering players an incentive to compare their progress and get ever stronger! Today we’re announcing an update to the point system to make it more inclusive of players of all levels.
Of course, all our Ranking Battle live events are not just about tournaments, they’re perhaps moreso about socialising, casual matches and even long sets, with a great opportunity to learn and improve.
By also having tournaments this adds some goals and structure for a day’s play – and the point system is part of that. Tying all our offline and online events together via the points is CouchWarriors League – the league ladder tracks each game and region, which you can filter here on the website. This has been a great way to determine seeding and invitations for events, and prize rewards.
Now as we dive into the 2nd half of this year’s season under CouchWarriors League, we’ve updated the system, in consultation with the tournament teams.Lets take a look:
What’s new and why do we like it?
- Expands the point system down to all participants, not just top 4-8
- This means participation is encouraged for those who think they can’t place, they can build up a small base of points just by entering consistently.
- We have kept the weighting towards offline tournaments vs online, however all points totals are increased, so if you play consistently, even online, you have a chance to post a good score
- This provides a nice second split/half season boost as we go towards finals. We won’t reset the points completely, but it provides an effective reset for those actively playing thanks to the increase.
- Still acknowledges season 1 players who get a kick start, recognizing due to COVID, its been an uneven year for live events.
- The system gives more scope for flexibility in determining prizes and finals seeding.
The point system will be in effect from July events onwards! Yes, that means you can earn more points for playing any of the current tournaments! Register here
We recognise this year has been uneven due to Covid, so some regions may have more events than others. This is why we will award end of season prizes to the top players in every game – in each region.
So if you’re the best player in a feature title in your state, or online, which is treated as its own region, you’ll be rewarded!
Current online feature titles are Street Fighter V, Guilty Gear Strive, Tekken 7 and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. These run monthly, so there’s a tournament each week and a prize will be allocated each month.
An additional two titles, while not guaranteed to run an online tournament each month, are staples of offline and will also have an end of season prize: Dragon Ball FighterZ and Super Smash Bros Melee.
Prizes are to be announced as the season progresses. You can count on support from our excellent sponsors Astro and Mwave for starters.
Regular titles you find at your local ranbat are all tracked in the points system, and at minimum we will add rewards at the finals.
On finals we will be planning to conclude the CWLeague season at CWC – CouchWarriors Crossup – in December with a boosted prize pool and more, to be announced.
If it is impossible for us to run a live finals event, we will run an online invitational using the league ladder. Last year there were over $5,000 in prizes and we are aiming high for this year. We will have more to share on this soon, but rest assured those points are worth striving for!